Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Divine intervention?

I got some bad news at work today. A dearly loved co-worker and friend passed away this morning. She had pancreatic cancer and had fought it for over a year and a half. I felt horrible b/c she emailed me about 3 months ago to say she wanted to get together, but I was so busy and figured we would catch up after the holidays.

I cried and came home and ate (thank god I have low point comfort food here). I picked up my kids and went to McD's b/c I didn't feel like cooking. I got myself a lettuce wrap chicken sand meal w/fries.

I got out of the car and wouldn't you know the bag ripped and there went all my tasty fries all over my dirty car port. I was pissed! Ugg! I really wanted to eat something yummy and bad for me and I couldn't.

I came in, got the kids started and went back to clean up. I think there were about 5 fries that didn't hit the ground and, well, I am slightly embarrased to say that I did salvage those. They were tasty, but w/the sandwich, I was actually fine. I didn't need to eat any more.

So, I am assuming my friend was looking down on me telling me to not be so idiotic. She would totally say "come on Julie, you are being silly. I am fine now and it is okay we didn't get together. Sometimes life just gets in the way, but that is good b/c that means we are living it. You don't need food to make you feel better, just those beautiful kids of yours."

Seriously, that is something she would say. I know, it sounds cheesy, but it makes me feel better to think it, so that is that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww - the love/hate relationship with divine intervention! Just learn to love it, I have!!

So sorry about your friend......cancer is a horrible disease and my sister in law is currently fighting kidney/bile duct cancer. It is the most awful thing to watch but knowing that your friend is in a better place and pain free is a comfort.

I'm sending you hugs and my prayers are with you!

Roni said...

Not cheesy at all! that was a beautiful story.

If it makes you feel any better, I ate a 5 hour old fry that I found on my car seat this evening. LOL it was just a mindless act.