Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chicken for breakfast?

So, this is the commercial I heard on the radio this morning.
Chicken for breakfast...from McDonald's. Hmmmmm, It is actually a Southern Style Chicken Biscuit that they are serving. That brings up the concept of chicken fried steak and lots of gravy. One of those breakfast I have been fortunate enough not to like but I know people who always order it.
I then had to look up the nutritional info on line, because that is the way my mind works these days.
So here it is...

Total: 420 calories; 20 g of fat; 8 g of saturated fat; 1 g of trans fat; 35 mg of cholesterol; 1200 mg of sodium; 41 g carbohydrates; 2 g dietary fiber; 18 g protien
For those counting points that would be 10 of them. Yikes!!!!

I am amazed at the newer, "better tasting" items that are being created. I actually have no doubt that this will probably be a popular item as my husband is famous for ordering things like that but at the same time, I am slightly appalled. We wonder where we went wrong when most of our nation (including me and a lot of my family) are overweight or obese. Why we are fighting heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. This is truly one of those "yuck" moments for me.
Oh well, thank goodness for sites like Roni's (Roni's page) and her green lites bites (which I don't have the link for, sorry) or swizzles page (Swizzlepops meal ideas) or the Hungry Girl site and cookbook Hungry Girl Cookbook, mothers day and self control (which I reviewed in a previous blog). These are all places I go to get old favorites with a new healthy twist.
Where do you go?

3 comments:

anna said...

i'm with you sista! i saw the picture of that breakfast sandwich on their menu (i was there for a dietcoke, of course) and almost gagged. it even looks as fattening as i am sure it is. now, i have been known to make myself a turkey sandwich or a salad for breakfast. (it's weird but i sometimes crave it) and that's as far as i can go in the a.m. i'm staying as far away from 10 points for a measly piece of deep fried chicken on a bun as i can.

Unknown said...

I love the new Hungry Girl cookbook - the WW website also always has some good recipes posted on the message boards......I'm with you - thank goodness for backup plans!

Swizzlepop said...

Is it wrong that I want to try it? 10 pts is a lot but I might do it one day if I knwo we are goign for a long walk or some other activity. I do wish that they would come up with better tasting lower calorie options. Maybe it's just me, but if it's low cal AND tastes good then wouldn't they still sell a lot? I mean, at the rate fast food chains are going, they are going to kill their core audience, literally.

PS
Thanks for mentioning my other blog, I'm flattered to know that people actually use it! :)